I have been really thinking and researching on how to be more productive and get things done and one thing that always popped up was sleep.
What can Sleep Deprivation Cause?
Everyone knows that sleep is vital, but it really affects everything in our lives. From obvious issues such as waking up tired or feeling tired throughout the day to having serious effects such as Impaired brain activity, memory problems, hallucinations, depression, weakened immune system, cold and flu, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases and high blood pressure amongst others. Source
These need to be taken seriously and sometimes its better to not attend an event or maybe skip a couple of items off your to do list to make sure you get enough sleep. Getting a good night rest will help you be more productive, so you will most probably make up for the missing checks on your to do list in no time!
New Year’s Resolution
Sleep deprivation will also cause loss of muscle and increase the possibility of obesity, so if you are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle and tone up, make sure to allocate enough sleep time. I will be adding this to my new year’s resolution and make it a priority to get enough sleep. This will also make it easier to wake up for my morning workout. Bonus!
How to Get Better Quality Sleep?
On average in a lifetime we spend 24 years sleeping! yes thats right, so it is important to not just get enough sleep but good quality sleep. I will be trying to apply the following to try and make sure to get the best sleep possible.
- Sleep in the dark – Make sure all lights and electronics are switched off
- Turn off any devices during sleep time – to avoid any interruptions during sleep
- Sleep with my eye-mask on – I find that sleeping with my eye mask on helps me feel cosier and well rested
- Read a book just before bed – helps me dose off easier
- Steer clear of electronics at least an hour before bed (this is going to be a real challenge for me as I usually check my Instagram and Twitter account right before bed and as soon as I wake up)
- Invest in a good quality mattress – getting enough sleep to wake up with back pains is nothing near getting a well rested sleep. Invest in your mattress and make sure you buy the best one you can afford.
Choose a company such as Casper, who really care about the product they are offering and create their products with such interest and dedication, such as their mattresses.
For more sleep trivia, I love these videos by the ASAP Science guys which explain the importance of sleep and how to get it 🙂
If you enjoyed this post, feel free to share via the links on the left hand side or tweet below 🙂
Thank you for reading, let me know what you think in the comments below or tweet me on
Tweet to @cherdaisycandle