A little bit of History:
Soya beans are a staple food product in many Asian countries, their versatility adding inexpensive variety to healthy diets for millennia. Another name for tofu or soy is ‘the cheese of Asia’, which is due to its discovery by the Chinese 2000 years ago and its resemblance to this dairy product.
Recent research has proven soy protein to significantly reduce LDL cholesterol levels, meaning it has cardiovascular benefits; it is also helpful for reducing menopausal symptoms. It is also useful for vegetarians and vegans as an excellent source of protein and iron.
- Use soft tofu for salad dressings, sauces and other blends and use firm tofu for cooking.
- Use soy sauce as a seasoning on your stir fried vegetables and tofu dinner
- Marinate and stir-fry some tofu with bean sprouts, vegetables and seasoning
- Blend soy milk with fruits, crushed nuts and honey for a nutritious breakfast drink
- Steam a large bowl of soya beans and eat as a healthy snack alternative to chips
Do you have any favourite tofu / soy recipes? or other cool tips on this superfood?
Thank you for reading 🙂 Let me know what you think in the comments below!
All Superfoods Section: